Paul J. Napoli
Paul J. Napoli, a Senior Partner in the firm, has achieved more than 100 verdicts and settlements over one million dollars. He is nationally known as a tenacious and unrelenting advocate for his clients’ rights in courts around the country, where he consistently achieves results in the multiple millions of dollars for injured plaintiffs.
Mr. Napoli has been named in New York Super Lawyers® each year since 2007, and in 2010, was named as one of the top 100 lawyers in the New York Metropolitan area. He is a long-time member of the invitation-only Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He formerly served on the Board Of Directors of the New York Trial Lawyers Association, has been active in numerous bar associations. He has been interviewed on numerous television shows, in newspaper and magazine articles and is frequently consulted by attorneys around the country on a variety of mass tort, malpractice and liability issues.
Mr. Napoli was appointed by the Supreme Court of the State of New York as the Liaison Counsel for the New York State Consolidated Diet Drug litigations and for the New York State Rezulin litigations; he was also named Plaintiffs’ Co-Liaison Counsel in the In re: World Trade Center Disaster Site Litigation in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York by the Hon. Alvin K. Hellerstein. In this capacity, Mr. Napoli was the lead attorney responsible for achieving settlements in excess of $800 million for injured WTC workers.
Recent Cases of Note
- In re: World Trade Center Disaster Site Litigation, 21 MC 100 (AKH), United States District Court, Southern District of New York. Appointed Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel. Mr. Napoli negotiated a historic settlement of more than ten thousand workers’ claims against the City of New York, its contractors and other defendants in the mass tort litigation where first responders, construction workers and laborers became ill as a result of toxic exposures suffered during the debris removal and clean up operations at the World Trade Center and related sites following the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- In re: MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1358, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Mr. Napoli attained more than $50 million in settlement with ExxonMobil Corporation and other defendants on behalf of numerous municipalities and municipal water districts whose potable drinking water sources were endangered and contaminated by leaks of petroleum additive.
- In Re: Nassau County Consolidated MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) Products Liability Litigation, Master Docket No.: 601516/09 Theodore Garille, Exec. Dir. for the Pascoag Util. Dist. v. Exxon Mobil Corp., et al. Providence Superior Ct., Case No. 02-2437 (Janice St. Ours v. Exxon Mobil Corp., et al. Providence Superior Ct., Case No. PC03-0079);
- Gladys Marshall, et al., v. CSX Transportation, Inc., et al.;
- $52 Million Dollar Settlement For Environmental Contamination Of Municipal Water Supplies Of MTBE By Petroleum Refiners And Retailers
- $875 Million Dollar Settlement On Behalf Of Users Of A Pharmaceutical That Caused Heart Defects
- $118 Million Dollar Settlement On Behalf Of Users Of A Pharmaceutical That Caused Heart Defects
- $220 Million Dollar Settlement On Behalf Of Users Of A Pharmaceutical That Caused Heart Defects
- $712.5 Million Dollar Settlement Of Injuries Sustained By Rescue And Recovery Workers At Ground Zero From Toxic Dust.
- $24.5 Million Dollar Settlement Of Injuries Sustained By Rescue And Recovery Workers At Ground Zero From Toxic Dust At Fresh Kills Landfill
- $28 Million Dollar Settlement Of Injuries Sustained By Rescue And Recovery Workers At Ground Zero From Toxic Dust While Working On The Barges And Piers
- $47.5 Million Dollar Settlement Of Injuries Sustained By Rescue And Recovery Workers At Ground Zero From Toxic Dust Recovered From The Port Authority Of New York And New Jersey
- Catastrophic injury cases and wrongful death resulting from defective Pharmaceutical products
- Environmental Contamination
- Liability; Medical Malpractice; Defective Products
- Negligence and Mass Torts
Awards and Honors
- New York Super Lawyers 2007-2013
- Top 100 Attorneys in the New York Metro Area, 2007; 2010; 2012; 2013
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Trial Lawyers Association: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2008
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers: New York (The American Trial Lawyers Association)
- New York State Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America (President's Club Member)
- Bronx County Bar Association
- St. John's Loughlin Society (Benefactors' Council)
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- St. John's University School of Law Alumni Association
- St. John’s University School of Law Dean’s Advisory Counsel
- The Cost of Contamination, American Water Works Association Journal, What's New in Water and Waste Water, November 2012
- Compensation through legislation for 9/11 responders and victims: An analysis of Zadroga (Co-Author Brian Crosby), Westlaw Journal - Toxic Torts, Volume 29, Issue 8 / June 2011
- Napoli, Paul J., "Physician Liability In Diet Drug Litigation" NYLJ April 20, 1998
- Profiled in:
- Depalma, Anthony, CITY OF DUST: ILLNESS, ARROGANCE AND 9/11, FT Press, 2010;
- Mundy, Alicia, Dispensing with the Truth: The Victims, The Drug Companies, and the Dramatic Story Behind the Battle Over Fen-Phen, St. Martin’s Press, 2001.
Paul J. Napoli
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- Fordham University, B.S.
- New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Pro hac vice appointments in various state courts including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Florida.