Tate J. Kunkle
Tate J. Kunkle is an associate in the Environmental Litigation Department of the firm. His practice in state and federal courts focuses on plaintiff's mass tort litigation, concentrating on helping people harmed by natural gas drilling operations, oil spills and exposure to hazardous water and air contaminants.
He has represented clients throughout the country harmed by a multitude of environmental pollutants and toxins such as petroleum, dioxin, PERC and the gasoline additive MTBE in public water supply wells.
Recent Cases of Note
Mr. Kunkle was an integral part of the team that helped obtain a $52 million dollar settlement for environmental contamination of municipal water supplies of MTBE by petroleum refiners and retailers.
He also worked extensively on In Re: World Trade Center Disaster Site Litigation, which resulted in a $712.5 million dollar settlement of injuries sustained by rescue and recovery workers at Ground Zero from toxic dust.
Awards and Honors
- New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013
- Top 40 Under 40 in the State of New York by The National Trial Lawyers; 2012 & 2013
- Member, Environmental Trial Lawyers Association
- Litigation Environment Drilling and Hydraulic Fracturing, The Environmental Law Reporter, Volume 43, No. 3 (March 2013)
- A Plaintiff’s primer on litigating natural gas cases, Westlaw Journal, Environmental, Volume 31, Issue 23 (June 8, 2011)
- Federal Environmental Standing Continues to Evolve, 2009 A.B.A. Sec. Environmental, Energy and Resources, Vol. 5, No. 2
- Speaker, "Drinking Water Studies", The Seminar Group, 3rd Annual Hydraulic Fracking Conference
- Speaker, "Liability Topics Relating to Hydraulic Fracturing", The Seminar Group Hydraulic Fracking Conference
- Speaker, "Shale Development and Hydraulic Fracturing", Environmental Law Institute
Tate J. Kunkle
- Pace University School of Law, LL.M. in Environmental Law, 2009
- Pace University School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Dickinson College, B.A., 2001
- Canter Law Firm P.C.
- Pace Energy and Climate Center
- New York
- US District Court
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Western District of New York